My little guy turned a month old on Saturday, and once again, I'd like to record some facts for posterity.
1) The Pit is undoubtedly Fuzzy's favorite person. The kid calms down instantly whenever his dad picks him up, looks up at him in adoration when set on his lap, and consistently smiles and laughs in his presence. In comparison, mom is just some waitress bringing the milk.
2) Fuzzy has also looked like The Pit from day one, but that resemblance has been strengthened even more recently as he began to go bald in exactly the same pattern as his father. Unfortunately, Fuzzy's hair loss is accelerating quickly, as my mom and I discovered when we wet his head during a bath.
I fear that soon, my adorable baby will begin to resemble a tiny tonsured monk - a fashion statement I'm not anticipating eagerly.
3) Although his looks come straight from Daddy, it's clear that Fuzzy inherited at least some things from me. Specifically, the baby is already a picky eater, absolutely refusing to suck on anything that isn't warm human flesh. My mom and I have been trying to get him to drink from a bottle or suck on a pacifier, and from the reaction, you would think we were trying to poison him. He jerks his head away, makes a face, and flails his arms about wildly.
If we persist in our folly, there is screaming.
4) In the last week or so, Fuzz has started to not only smile and laugh (albeit infrequently - we have one serious kid on our hands), but also to babble a bit during those happy intervals. In between his near constant hiccups, he makes little birdlike cooing noises, irresistibly cute as he looks up at us.
5) Fuzzy was born with a very interesting set of ears, and a little tiny cowlick in the hair on his upper arms, which can both be see here in his first week:
Sadly, the cowlick has disappeared along with the hair, and his ears are starting to assume a more normal and human folding pattern, perhaps from his habit of grabbing at them when he's trying to pass gas:
6) However, to compensate for the loss of those two features, Fuzzy is growing by leaps and bounds. He stopped fitting into his newborn onsesies after 3 weeks, and now wears clothes meant for three, and occasionally even six, month olds. Additionally, he has developed a killer set of arm and leg muscles, with more definition than his mother ever enjoyed. His chunky little thighs make him look even more froglike than before. His crowning achievement to date though is definitely the development of freakishly giant head - lifting it is a real drag:
7) The kid sleeps best tightly swaddled, so I suppose it's not surprising that upon waking, he likes to stretch his arms and legs a bit. What is surprising is the volume of farts that accompanies the stretching, and the faces he makes in the process. I'd like to title the following composition "Stretchies is Serious Bizness"