Thursday, October 1, 2009

Oy

You know, I should have known it wasn't going to be a good week on Monday night. That's when a trio of silver-haired retirees smoked us at trivia night. As it turns out, old people are surprisingly good at recalling the TV shows of their youth, and do not automatically think of marijuana when someone named Bogart is mentioned. And we can't even put all the blame on the old people, since we ended up in third place. Although I suppose third place isn't losing, per se...we did get to choose from a unique selection of prize Bud Light t-shirts at the end of the night.

Anyway, the week went downhill from third place at trivia. OL ended up in the hospital after falling and hitting her head. She wasn't hurt too badly, but she had an unfortunate tendency to tell every visiting nurse and social worker that I was from California, had a PhD, and was engaged to be married. This spiel would have been okay if they were asking about me, but it usually came when they directed their questions to the subject of her health. Consequently, everyone decided that she was much more senile than is actually the case, that she was in need of continuous monitoring, and that she should be admitted for several days. She's home as of today and trembling with indignation because 'all dose people' forced her to take a wheelchair back to her place, when really she 'would rather be dead' than try to use it. Fortunately for all of us, she doesn't actually need it.

OL isn't the only one with medical issues either...I'm not sure if I've mentioned it, but The Pit has been playing on a softball team for two games a week. It's apparently kind of a shitty team, since he keeps coming home grumpy from losing. However, on Tuesday night he came home both grumpy and sort of groaning. Apparently there was an unfortunate collision when he tagged a runner out at first, and now he may or may not have a cracked rib. Either way, sitting down, standing up, and rolling over in bed all hurt, and doing the dishes is entirely out of the question.

As if all of the above weren't enough, I was driving home from the hospital yesterday when I received a speeding ticket. That I should get one of those is not altogether shocking, but what did make my eyes bulge a little was the price tag. For going 45 mph in a 30 mph residential zone, the state of Virginia would like to take $366 of my hard-earned dollars. Had I run a red light, my fine would have been all of $161, and being a jackass and illegally parking in handicapped spot would have netted the state a mere $211. And to add insult to injury, in the box on the ticket designated for my sex, the kind officer also put an M. Bastard Virginian, I hate you and all your brethren.

1 comment:

  1. That sucks. I didn't think tickets could get more expensive than those in California. Hope "the Pit" gets better soon. I imagine he refused to go to the doctor, as most boys do.

    ReplyDelete